Tomorrow marks the kick-off of the free, three-day Eat Real Festival in Jack London Square! Access a full list of events and start planning your weekend by clicking the picture below. For Jam Highlights, keep reading!
- Visit the Blue Chair Fruit team at the Eat Real marketplace on Friday from 1pm to 7pm, Saturday from 10:30am to 7pm, and Sunday from 10:30am to 5pm!
- Saturday 11am-1pm, DIY Classroom: Join Rachel for a Q&A session about Advanced Flavor Construction! Learn to enliven your jams with spices, herbs, and liqueurs, while maintaining a delicate flavor balance.
- Saturday 3:30-5pm, Craft Marketplace: In the mood for something rich? Rachel teams up with Dandelion Chocolate to create two indulgent chocolate-citrus tarts using Elderberry-Orange and Bergamot marmalades.
- Sunday 1-2:30pm, Craft Marketplace: Rachel and Baia Pasta collaborate on a super-secret sauce recipe using–what else?!–jam!
- Sunday Jam Bar: Greg Lindgren of Rye Bar will be serving up fresh Blood Orange Whiskey Sours using our very own Blood Orange-Hibiscus Marmalade. End your weekend with a bang at the Jam Bar!
Stay tuned to find out when Rachel announces the Punk Domestics Jam Contest Winner!
Hey, Bay Area jammers! Join Punk Domestics and Blue Chair Fruit for a Bay Area food swap, plus the chance to show off what you’ve got and meet other local preservation geeks. Hey, Bay Area jammers!
On Friday July 15, we’ll be gathering at the Blue Chair Fruit kitchens to sample each other’s wares and chat preservation with local amateurs and professionals alike. Best of all, the event will culminate in a DIY food exchange, but with a catch: It’s a free-market exchange. Want that bottle of limoncello? It might cost you three jars of blueberry jam. Or vice versa. You negotiate the value between each other. It all comes down to what the market bears.
Come on down — the party starts at 6pm. You’ll want to arrive right on time so you get a chance to try everything. All manner of preserved food is welcome: jams and jellies, liqueurs, charcuterie, homemade cheese, pickles, or anything else you’ve spent time preserving!
Please bring as much of your favorite preserved item(s) as you want to trade (including serving utensils), plus enough to share with other guests. Gotta get ’em hooked with a free sample first, of course.
*The BCF kitchen’s entrance is on 47th St. and there should be ample street parking. Alternately, we’re a short walk from MacArthur BART!*
P.S. Unsure what to make between now and then? Check out Punk Domestics for all kinds of inspiration: they’ve got everything from pickle recipes to tips on making cheese at home!